Before living in Spain I'd had my fair share of fried calamari (I still miss the Rhode Island style squid I grew up on — dripping in butter and spicy banana peppers),but I'd rarely eaten calamari (or squid or cuttlefish for that matter) any other way.
Here in Spain the preparations are endless,and among the top cephalopod dishes you'll findcalamares en su tinta(calamari in a rich sauce made of its own ink),,albóndigas de choco(cuttlefish"meatballs"),andguiso de chipirones y patatas(squid and potato stew).
And while a squid and potato stew recipe might not sound like comfort food to some people,it sure is for anyone who grew up here in Spain!It's a dish that isn't too much fuss,but it develops delicious flavors and is perfect when served for a hearty Spanish lunch.
Here's my traditional squid and potato stew recipe (guiso de chipirones con patatas).You can make it with any cephalopod — calamari,cuttlefish,etc.
Traditional Spanish squid and potato stew recipe
- 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) of squid/calamari/cuttlefish (I used chipirones here in Spain),whole - or 600g (1.3 lbs) of pre-cleaned squid rings
- 2 medium onions,diced
- 1 large red pepper,diced
- 2 cloves of garlic,minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of dry white wine or sherry (I used manzanilla sherry)
- 1.5 cups of fish or shrimp stock
- 2 cups of diced potatoes (亚博体育在线about 4-5 potatoes)
- Clean your squid and cut into ½ inch chunks.Be sure to rinse off any sand.Save a few ink sacs for flavor if you want.*You can also use pre-cleaned and prepared squid rings.
- In a large,heavy pot heat 亚博体育在线about ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil and add the squid to quickly brown on all sides.
- Remove the browned squid and add the diced onion and pepper.Saute over a medium heat until cooked through,亚博体育在线about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 亚博体育在线about 3 minutes.
- Add back the squid and the white wine.Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock,bay leaves,and potatoes.Bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower the heat to a slow simmer.
- Cook for 亚博体育在线about 30 minutes,or until the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt,pepper,and cayenne if you want a spicy kick.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of white wine (or manzanilla sherry!)
More delicious Spanish stew 亚博竞彩下载recipes:
- Rabo de toro (oxtail stew)
- Garbanzos con espinacas (chickpea and spinach stew)
- Pollo en Pepitoria (chicken in almond sauce stew)
- Carrillada (braised pork cheek stew)
What do you think?Will you try my squid and potato stew recipe any time soon?What's your favorite squid dish??